The American College of Surgeons (ACS) is accepting nominations for the 15th Joan L. and Julius H. Jacobson II Promising Investigator Award (JPIA) to be conferred in 2019. This award recognizes outstanding surgeons who are engaged in research that advances the art and science of surgery and who demonstrate early promise of significant contribution to the practice of surgery and the safety of surgical patients. The award is funded through a generous endowed fund established by the donors and administered by the ACS Surgical Research Committee (SRC).
Awardees must meet the following criteria:
- Fellow or Associate Fellow of the ACS
- Board certification in a surgical specialty and completion of surgical training, including fellowship, in the last six years, exclusive of military, medical, or family leave
- Faculty appointment at a research-based academic medical center or to a military service position
- Peer-reviewed funding, such as a K-series award from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Veterans Affairs (VA), National Science Foundation, or U.S. Department of Defense merit review to support their research; well-established surgeon-scientists (for example, recipients of NIH R01 grants, VA Merit grants, or equivalent grants from other agencies) are ineligible
Only one application per surgical department will be accepted. Nomination documentation must include the following:
- A one-page essay explaining why the candidate should be considered for the award and describing the importance of past and present research
- Copies of the candidate’s three most significant publications as faculty
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate’s department chair and up to three additional letters of recommendation
- An NIH-formatted biographical sketch submitted through the electronic application system
Special consideration will be given to surgeons who are at the tipping point of their research careers with a track record indicative of early promise and potential (for example, degree program in research or K-award).
To be considered for the 2019 award, applications must be submitted by February 22, 2019. Visit the JPIA website at facs.org/quality-programs/about/cqi/jacobson to submit documentation and nomination materials. For additional information, contact [email protected].