The Commission on Cancer (CoC) recognized outstanding leaders in the Cancer Liaison Program, including four CoC State Chairs and 10 Cancer Liaison Physicians (CLPs).
State Chairs are responsible for supporting CoC-accredited cancer programs in their state, communicating with the CLPs serving in those programs, and collaborating with partners such as their American College of Surgeons chapter, American Cancer Society regional staff, and the state Comprehensive Cancer Control Coalition. The State Chair Outstanding Performance Award recognizes individuals who exhibit outstanding leadership and innovation, and who make significant contributions to the improvement of cancer care in a state or region.
The following CoC State Chairs received the award in recognition of their work during 2020:
The CoC launched a new program this year to recognize outstanding work by CLPs at CoC-accredited programs. CLPs are integral and required members of CoC-accredited cancer programs’ cancer committees, serving as the physician quality leaders.
The following individuals received the CLP Outstanding Performance Award:
- Samuel Carvajal, MD, FACS, Adventist Health Glendale, CA
- Babak Eghbalieh, MD, FACS, Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, Mission Hills, CA
- David Mullins, MD, MBA, CPE, FACS, Princeton Community Hospital, Princeton, WV
- Sangeetha Prabhakaran, MBBS, FACS, UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center, Albuquerque, NM
- Tracy Rauch, MD, Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge, LA
- Anthony Strawn, MD, FACS, Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Fort Belvoir, VA
- Raquel Wagman, MD, The Cancer Center at Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ
- Michael Whalen, MD, George Washington University Hospital, Washington, DC
- Jason Wilson, MD, MBA, FACS, Morton Plant Mease Health Care, Palm Harbor, FL
- Anthony Yang, MD, MS, FACS, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
The winners of this year’s awards will be recognized at the fall CoC meetings.