Just because Clinical Congress 2021 is a virtual event doesn’t mean you can’t engage with your peers or get to know the American College of Surgeons’ (ACS) leaders a little better.
Many opportunities for social engagement will be offered each day, starting with Morning Brew, 7:00 am–7:30 am Central Time, Monday, October 25, through Wednesday, October 27, moderated by Patricia L. Turner, MD, MBA, FACS, Director, ACS Division of Member Services, and ACS Executive Director-Elect. This program will feature special guests who will meet virtually over coffee and discuss the day’s Clinical Congress educational sessions and interesting engagement opportunities. Dr. Turner and her guests look forward to having you join them virtually for these live chats. A list of daily guests follows.
Monday, October 25
- ACS President (2021−2022) Julie A. Freischlag, MD, FACS, FRCSEd(Hon), DFSVS
- ACS Regent Anthony Atala, MD, FACS, who will introduce Anthony S. Fauci, MD, Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Chief Medical Advisor to the President, and 2021 Martin Memorial Lecturer
Tuesday, October 26
- Andrea A. Hayes, MD, FACS, 2021 Olga M. Jonasson Lecturer: Grit in Spite of Adversity, in the Pursuit of Excellence
- Alan D. Kirk, MD, PhD, FACS, 2021 Excelsior Surgical Society/Edward D. Churchill Lecturer: American Surgery: First Doctor, Last Doctor
Wednesday, October 27
- ACS Executive Director David B. Hoyt, MD, FACS
Other engagement opportunities include the following:
Join other colleagues with the same interests and hobbies. Each night October 25–27, 6:00 pm–7:00 pm Central Time, free Hobby Rooms will be available for the lovers of sports, cars, cooking, music, and much more. Zoom links to join other enthusiasts will be available the day of the event.
Monday Hobby Rooms: Sports and Travel
- Room: Hockey Spectators and Fans
- Subject: Professional Hockey Fans
- Room: Basketball Spectators and Fans
- Subject: Basketball Fans
- Room: College Football Fanatics
- Subject: College Football Fans
- Room: Taking It to the Tennis Court
- Subject: Tennis Enthusiasts
- Room: House of Globetrotters
- Subject: Global Travel
- Room: We Love National Parks,
- Subject: Family Travel, National Parks and Forests
Tuesday Hobby Rooms: Cooking, Gardening, Music, and Needlework
- Room: Calling All Culinary Artists and Scientists
- Subject: Artisan Culinary Food
- Room: So, You Think You Can Bake (or are interested in learning)
- Subject: Baking
- Room: Surgeons in Garden Gloves
- Subject: Gardening
- Room: Medical Instruments and Musical Instruments: I Need a Metronome, Stat!
- Subject: Playing a Musical Instrument(s)
- Room: Stitching for Fun
- Subject: Needlework
- Room: Yarnhuggers
- Subject: Knitting
Wednesday Hobby Rooms: Unique Hobbies and Do-It-Yourself
- Room: Metalsmiths Unite
- Subject: Metalsmithing
- Room: Old Bones
- Subject: Old House Restoration
- Room: Surgeons and Cars and Coffee
- Subject: Collectible and Sports Cars
- Room: Board Games: No Cutting the Meeples
- Subject: Table-top Board Games
- Room: Puzzle Lovers
- Subject: Puzzles
- Room: From Surgeon to Submersion: Surgeons Who Dive
- Subject: Scuba Diving
- Room: Roller-skating Enthusiasts
- Subject: Roller-skating
This 60-minute cocktail class on Tuesday, October 26, starting at 6:00 pm Central Time, will be broadcast live from Laylow, an Asbury Park, NJ, cocktail lounge, and hosted by a knowledgeable bar crew. The class will give you the chance to learn three new cocktails perfect for the home bartender. Tips and tricks will be highlighted throughout the class, and there will be time for questions. Sign up in the Registration dashboard. Space is limited. Cost: $20
Get Active with ACS!
Walking/Running Wellness Challenge
Participate in some friendly competition amongst your peers and win prizes while “working” your way up the Challenge Leaderboard. Three winners will each be awarded a $200 AMEX gift card. All participants will be able to track their steps using their own Fitbit, Apple Watch, Garmin, or a step tracker integrated on an iPhone or Android smartphone via Apple Health or Google Fit. The Challenge will run from Sunday, October 24, at 11:59 pm Central Time, through Wednesday, October 27, 2021, at 11:59 pm.
Vinyasa Yoga is an active, movement-based class that unites the breath with physical poses to cultivate a meditative state of mind. Your YogaPro will guide you through a series of postures that improve balance, strength, flexibility, and overall mobility. Modified posture variations will be offered to accommodate all bodies, including how to use props or household prop substitutes. Vinyasa Yoga will be held Monday, October 25, 6:00 am–7:00 am Central Time. Cost: $15
All Levels Pilates
Pilates uses the resistance of gravity in exercises to strengthen your muscles, improve posture, and increase mobility. Perform low-impact exercises that emphasize precise movements of the abdominal muscles, glutes, hips, back, and shoulders. Isolate and strengthen these muscles to achieve better control over your entire body. Pilates will be held Tuesday, October 26, 6:00 am–7:00 am Central Time. Cost: $15
Restorative Yoga is designed to bring your nervous system into “rest and digest” mode, where healing occurs at the cellular level. Your YogaPro will guide you through a sequence designed to gently move you through prone, seated, and reclined poses that honor your body and the work that it does. You will explore breathing exercises that quiet the mind and support physical release. This class provides a meditative experience from start to finish. Restorative Yoga will be held Wednesday, October 27, 6:00 am–7:00 am Central Time.
CC2021 Exploration Challenge
The CC2021 Exploration Challenge will help guide you through some areas of the virtual Clinical Congress online meeting platform. Once you register for the meeting, you will be automatically entered into the Challenge. The platform will capture your participation, so you won’t have to keep track or submit your visits later. There will be three winning tiers with three winners per tier. Explore all Clinical Congress has to offer, and you might win a $200 VISA gift card, a suite upgrade at Clinical Congress 2022, or ACS branded merchandise.
Social Media Engagement Opportunities
Join Surgeons Who Selfie to show the surgical community all that this year’s virtual Clinical Congress has to offer. Use #ACSCC21 when tweeting about Clinical Congress. Add #CCselfie when sharing photos of yourself participating in the meeting. Follow the College on Twitter: @AmCollSurgeons.
Join Surgeons Who TikTok and use #ACSCC21 on TikTok to share your videos highlighting your Clinical Congress participation.